Saturday, September 24, 2011

Yummy Mexican Cheesecake Dip - Hot Flashes Are Not Hawt

It isn’t that I was really bothered when I turned 40.  It certainly isn’t as old as I used to think it was when I was a kid.  It is a good age.  What I am bothered by though is the switch that suddenly turned on in my body telling me to start losing hormones.  I talked this over with my mom and she said, “Oh, I started menopause at 38 and it went on for 15 years.”  WTF?!  15 YEARS!  Are you kidding me?  What has been going on with me are intense hot flashes.  It basically feels like the inside of your body is on fire.  It is really delightful, plus you get the added bonus of sweating profusely for no apparent reason.  I’ve seen people recoil when they talk to me while I’m having a hot flash.  

My mom said, “You just have to deal with it.  It is what we women go through.”  Screw that shit, I want some drugs. Luckily, I live with a pharmacist.  She said I should just make an appointment with my doctor.  Which, of course, is good advice, but I wanted something right then.  I hate waiting.  I hate waiting even more when I’m having a hot flash.  She said, “Fine let’s go find you some Estroven.”  If you are imagining her dragging me along like a child, you’d have the proper visual.  We found it and I took it right when we got in the car yesterday and holy crap, I feel better.  No hot flashes yesterday, last night or this morning.  It is like a heat haze has been lifted.  It might be completely mental on my part, but I don’t care.  If I feel this good after taking a dietary supplement imagine what will happen when I get an actual prescription for a hormone replacement.  Losing estrogen has made me feel so giddy and girly.   I might even paint my nails today!  Actually, I won’t because I have football to watch.  Speaking of football, here’s a good recipe to enjoy while watching the game.


Yummy Mexican Cheesecake Dip (http://www.bigoven.com)


Ingredients

Crust
1 cup tortilla chips, finely crushed
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling
2 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
1 package taco seasoning mix
2 eggs
2 cups cheddar, shredded
½ cup thick and chunky salsa
1 cup sour cream

Topping
Green onion; chopped
Ripe olives; sliced
Tomatoes; chopped
Tortilla chips

Preparation
In small bowl, stir together crushed tortilla chips and butter.  Press onto bottom of 9 inch springform pan.  Bake at 325 for about 10 minutes.  Cool slightly.  In large bowl, combine cream cheese and taco seasoning mix.  Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, about 1-2 minutes.  Add eggs.  Continue to beat until smooth.  Stir in cheese and salsa.  Carefully spoon cream cheese mixture over crust spreading to smooth.  Bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until edges are set (center of cheesecake will be slightly soft.)  Top with sour cream.  Cool completely.  Cover, refrigerate until serving time (overnight is ideal).  Just before serving, remove sides of springform pan; garnish with green onions, ripe olives and tomatoes.  Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment