Thursday, November 1, 2012

Things on my Mind



I’ve got four things on my mind today:


1.  This blog started after I got laid off from my job of eight years. I’ve come to realize that was a really good thing.  Since then, I’ve learned the fine art of being a housewife and have started my own business.  I’m lucky, but at the time it all felt very unceremonious and, even though it is just business, you feel a bit unwanted.  I’m experiencing the exact opposite right now.  I gave my part-time job, teaching after school enrichment, my two weeks notice…about a month ago.  The principal asked if I would please stay on until they found a replacement.  Of course, I agreed.  Two days later, they found a replacement, she filled out paperwork and now the paperwork continues to sit on the principal's desk.  The day “my replacement” filled out her paperwork, the principal said to me, “We wish you’d stay.  Maybe you’ll change your mind.”  Now, when I go in to see her she runs and hides.  I’m beginning to think the school is hoping I will forget that I gave notice.  It was flattering and funny at first, but now I feel like I’m staring in The Shawshank Redemption.    To make matters worse, one of the kids told me they loved me yesterday, but in their zeal to tell me, they spit on my shirt.  


2.  Yesterday, we had a Halloween Party for the kids.  I decided to dress up as a mad scientist.  Clearly, any good mad scientist has crazy hair standing on end.  I worked hard to get my hair to the jacked up state.  My hair is naturally curly so it was a challenge.  I had massive amounts of gel, hairspray and glitter spray in my hair.  Later, I passed out Halloween candy in my costume.  By the end of the night, I was exhausted and decided I’d wash the stuff out of my hair in the morning.  I woke up this morning with hair that felt basically like what I’d imagine a caveman’s hair to feel like.  It was gross!  I did manage to rub it on Tiffany’s face before my shower though.


3.  This Saturday we are having a garage sale.  I absolutely HATE doing a garage sale, but it is a nice way to get some money to apply to my new business.  Nevermind, that we bought a new couch and loveseat to replace the ones we are selling...that was months ago so it doesn’t count anymore.  At any rate, the garage sale does provide splendid people watching…I just don’t like that the people watching is happening in my own garage.  CLICK HERE for the story of our last garage sale and the rules I came up with...


4.  I few weeks ago, I wrote about our visit to Oak Hill Cemetery and the awesome volunteers who keep its history alive.  CLICK HERE for a follow up story from Rebecca Dobrinski.  She has volunteered at the cemetery for four years and this year, for the history tour, portrayed (in fine style, I might add) Birmingham brothel owner, Maggie Bracken.  Give it a read and spend some time on this blog.  It is good stuff.  Check out the Table of Contents for other well-written articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment