Tuesday, March 12, 2013

SoS Recipe and Lizzie Borden After 1892 - "True" History Tuesday



I’m sure you have all heard about Lizzie Borden taking an axe and giving her mother forty whacks and then giving her father forty-one.  But not many know what happened to her after she was tried and acquitted in 1892 of murdering her parents with an axe.  Later in life, she changed her name to Elsie, turned into a cow and started selling milk.  She also invented Axe Body Spray and was the first person to ever say, "I'd like to axe you something". 

This is not the first time True History Tuesday has explored the life of Lizzie Borden.  Click Here to learn more about this fascinating woman who was also a diary cow.


Painstaking research for “True” History Tuesday makes me hungry.  You should try this recipe.  I bet it brings back memories both true and “true.”  If you lived with anyone who has served in the military, it is very likely you have eaten something called Shit On a Shingle (SoS).  My dad was in the navy and described this recipe to my mom.  She recreated it and I clearly remember eating it on a regular basis as a kid.  When I was younger, I thought it was some sort of punishment.  Now…I think this is actually rather tasty.  Keep in mind that thick toast is really the key. 

Chipped Beef over Toast, Shit on a Shingle, SoS or Whatever the Hell Else You've Heard It Called


Ingredients
4 tablespoons butter
1 8-ounce jar dried chipped beef
1 tablespoon sugar
½ cup flour
1 cup milk
4 slices thick white bread
Butter for toast

Preparation
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.  Sauté the beef for 3 to 4 minutes until thoroughly warm, but do not scorch.  While stirring, add the sugar and mix it in thoroughly.  Gradually dust the beef with the flour, then very gradually stir in the milk.  Continue to stir until the sauce begins to thicken.  Toast and butter the bread.  Top the toast with warmed creamed chipped beef.


No comments:

Post a Comment