Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Gardening

Back from the front in 1918
Source


Happy Memorial Day!!  I decided today, of course, I would cook out, spend the day in the sun and drink, but that I would also tune in to the History Channel to watch programming honoring those who have served our country in battle.  Sadly, I discovered that the History Channel had opted to show a Pawn Stars marathon.  I’m not sure why the History Channel would chose to ignore a day that could have been a good teaching opportunity…but, I suppose, I will just have to further lower my programming expectations for that channel.  Thankfully, the History Channel 2 is showing WWII and then the Vietnam War in HD all day.   I’ll keep my channel tuned to that instead of Pawn Stars.


I spent the morning gardening.  Part of my cookout later will include fish tacos.  I’m not in any way a fan of guacamole.  It is purely a texture thing with me, but Tiffany loves it.  It isn’t fair for me to deny her guacamole so I made some earlier.  The beauty of making it (aside from the gag reflex of removing the “meat” from the avacado) was that I got to use an onion and a tomato from my own garden.  I used to think people were crazy when they said, “food you make just tastes better,” but truly it does.  I tried the tomato and onion prior to combining them with the avocado.  They were delicious!!  I took up gardening to keep myself busy after getting laid off and now it is a legitimate way for me to provide fresh food for my family.  Here’s a look at what my garden yielded this morning, plus the way I prepared Tiff’s guacamole.

Potatoes!!!

This is the first pepper from one of my red pepper plants.  I used red peppers all the time.  I'm anxiously awaiting for this pepper to turn red!


Super Easy Guacamole

Ingredients
2 Avocados
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
1 tablepoons fresh lime or lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 ripe tomato, pulp removed and chopped

Preparation
Cut avocados in half and scoop avocado from peel.  Save the seeds if you'd like to try to grow an avocado tree.  See picture below to see how to start it.  Leave the seed end in the water for three to six weeks prior to planting.  I'll keep you posted as to how my avocado tree project is coming along.  Use a fork to mash avocado.  Add onion, parsley, lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper and tomato.  Combine completely with fork.  Cover with plastic wrap completely to prevent oxidation  from air reaching guac and place in the fridge until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment