Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mom Wisdom and Lemon Drop Martini



I talked to my mom yesterday.  She got new gutters.  She kept talking about my gal.  “I gave my gal a glass of water.”  My gal borrowed John’s ladder.”  “My gal got here really early.”  I finally realized she was actually saying Miguel.  She also told me she bought Rachael Ray’s pots.  She said Target had them on sale for $39.99, but she didn’t want to go that far.  “That is too far to drive on a Sunday.”  ????????  She took the Target ad to Kohl’s.  The manager gave her the same deal, but wouldn’t take her 15% off coupon.  “Can you believe they wouldn’t take that coupon?!”  She said the pots wouldn’t crack at temperatures up to 500 degrees.  She said four times, “I don’t think I have ever cooked anything at 500 degrees!”

She then asked me about Valentine’s Day (BTW, she pronounces it Valentime’s).  “Where did you take Tiffany?”  I said, “She had to work so we didn’t go out.  Plus we don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day.”  She didn’t care for my answer.  “You should have taken Tiffany out.  Olivia would have taken Natalia out for Valentime’s.”  I said, “What are you talking about?”  She went on to explain Olivia Spencer and Natalia Rivera’s relationship on the Guiding Light.  She also asked me AGAIN if Tiffany and I were ever going to get one of those “oriental” babies.  I promised Mom I would be more like Olivia and Natalia next year and that we would see if Target was having a sale on oriental babies and try to get the same deal at Kohl’s WITH the 15% off coupon.  She laughed and said, “Listen…you know, those pots can be heated to 500 degrees without cracking!  Have you ever cooked anything at 500 degrees?”


I've decided the best "after talking to mom cocktail"  is in fact a Lemon Drop Martini.  Check it out!



Lemon Drop Martini




Ingredients
2 parts Vodka
¾ Cointreau
1 part freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ part simply syrup (equal parts sugar and water, simmer in saucepan until sugar is dissolved; cool completely)
Lemon wedge
Lemon sugar mix (mix ½ cup granulated sugar with zest of 1 lemon)

Preparation
Moisten the rim of each martini glass with lemon wedge and then turn the glass upside down and twist into the lemon sugar.  In shaker combine vodka, Cointreau, lemon juice, simple syrup and a handful of ice; shake for at least one minute.  Pour the mixture through a strainer into a prepared martini glass and garnish with a lemon slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment