Sunday, February 20, 2011

Building Garden Boxes

One of the things I have always wanted to do is gardening.  The thought of growing and then cooking your own food just seems so appealing to me.  So pioneer chic. I just never had the time because of the 50+ hours per week I used to toil away at my job.  But now that I’m a bum…time is not an issue! 
I decided the best option for our yard would be to create a box garden.   We have a weird three-tiered yard, so I chose the second tier for my garden area.  Apparently you need six hours of sun per day, so this was the best spot.  I then measured to determine the best sizes for the boxes.  I decided one 4’ x 4’ box and two 4’ x 2’ boxes. Then it was off to Home Depot. I got some premium studs (premium studs…hahahaha) mostly because they were on sale (discounted premium studs…hahahahaha) and long galvanized screws (because you have to screw the premium studs…hahahahaha).
Other things you’ll need:
Drill
Saw (I used a jigsaw) unless you get the store to cut the wood for you
Measuring tape
Favorite music
Electricity
Beer
Landscaping fabric for bottom of garden boxes
Potting soil
Garden fencing (this will be trial and error as far as wild animals, but at this point I’m mostly hoping to keep our dogs out)


blank slate


Sam Adams Noble Pils is a very good garden box building brew...of course pace yourself you are using power tools.

Improvise when you don't have saw horses!

I just made this up as I went...

Presto first box done!

That damn thing was really heavy so you'll need help getting it to your location.

I drilled holes in the top of the box to place the garden fencing. 


Done!  Time for more beer!



3 comments:

  1. What are you planting??? I am growing strawberries, bell peppers, chili peppers, some herbs, and a few more things I've yet to plant. I really wanted a big garden, but that'll have to wait til we're more settled.

    They have LOADS of gardening stuff over here and everyone (just about) is totally into it. It's so tempting in the store to buy heaps of things (gardening related or plant related), but I have to refrain. Haha. Ele already calls me a plant hoarder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planting strawberries, peppers, potatoes, romaine lettuce, tomotoes, onions, garlic, squash, broccoli and zucchini. I'm thinking about doing a herb garden in the kitchen. We'll see how this goes.

    Haha plant hoarder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love herbs--SO easy to grow. Peppers are, too, though. I wanted to do potatoes, broccoli, and zucchini, but I don't have the space :*(

    ReplyDelete