Sunday, January 1, 2012

And So, It Is 2012



I promise this is the last look back at blog entries for awhile, but I had to re-share my entry about resolutions because this holds true for this new year, too.  Also...it is a noble attempt at being a lazy writer.

I’ve been around long enough to know that resolutions are tricky little things.  In order to guarantee success, you really need to have some sort of a disclaimer for each resolution.  Think of it as a sort of prenuptial agreement without the enormous wedding costs, angry bridal outbursts and bad reception line dances.  Having disclaimers will not only give your resolutions that contractual air of legality feel, but it also provides you with an out when the much dreaded breaking of the resolution occurs. 

Take, for example, my resolution to not drink any beer in 2011.  It is a noble endeavor seeing as I drink too much of it now and it isn’t so good for the waistline.  I made that resolution as the ball dropped in New York City and then promptly broke it the next day at 11:00am central time…or did I?  I have a disclaimer which allows for the consumption of beer during sporting events (on television or live in a stadium with or without a dome).  And as luck would have it, two bowl games that we watched on TV were played that day.  Later in the week, we had beers again.  Not so much breaking the resolution because I have a disclaimer regarding spicy foods.  Additionally, I have a disclaimer regarding days ending in Y.  As hard as it is, I’m seeing a great amount of success with the no beer in 2011 resolution thus far.  I also have a second resolution and that is to write in my blog every day.  You, the reader, may want to add some disclaimers later, but I actually withheld any disclaimers on this resolution other than the disclaimer that I can drink beer when writing my daily blog.”






Want something good and easy to make on New Year’s Day?  This is actually something your kids who complain about eating black eyed peas will eat!

Zannie’s Black-Eyed Pea Dip
 
Ingredients
1 can (14 ounce) Black-Eyed Peas
¼ whole onion, chopped fine
¼ cup sour cream
8 slices jarred jalapenos
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons salsa
Hot Sauce, to taste
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Drain black-eyed peas and partially mash, leaving some whole.  Add all other ingredients, stirring to combine.  Spread onto a 1 ½ quart baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.  Serve with tortilla chips!

*Note:  if you have them available, you can use the canned black-eyed peas and jalapenos (they are canned together.)  if you do this, you can omit the extra jalapenos.




No comments:

Post a Comment