Saturday, April 21, 2012

Smoked Tuna Dip


One of our favorite get-away places is Orange Beach.  It is perfectly laid back and depending on the time you go, not too crowded.  We usually spend the day on the beach drinking Malibu Rum with pineapple and banana juice, reading and napping.  Then head out for some seafood.  One of our favorite places is Lulu’s.  We always get their Smoked Tuna Dip.  It is delicious.  I’m going to try to replicate it when I get back home.  I found a recipe from Girlson a Grill.  They also included a recipe for smoking your own tuna.  I’m going to try another route and use liquid smoke.  I’m sure I’ll go through several variations.  In the meantime, here’s the recipe if you’d like an easy appetizer or light lunch idea.


Smoked Tuna Dip

Ingredients
+1 pound of smoked tuna, broken into large chunks (smoked tuna recipe) or use +1 pound of albacore tuna and add 1 ½ teaspoons of liquid smoke to recipe
½ small, sweet onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
½ tsp hot sauce
1 tsp of Cajun rub
Juice and zet of 1 lemon
½-3/4 cup mayo
I’m also adding a handful of parsley because I’m pretty sure I saw it in the dip at Lulu’s
Saltines

Preparation
Combine all ingredients except the tuna and saltines in a large bowl and mix well.  Then add the tuna, and fold gently.  Don’t break up the chunks!

Allow this to rest, covered, in the fridge for at least 2 hours, and to get very cold.  Serve with saltines and your favorite cold beverage.



2 comments: