Thursday, May 26, 2011

What's Growing in my Garden

Is there anything creepier than a close-up picture of a doll face?

My first foray into gardening is still progressing nicely…are at least, I think, it is progressing nicely.  I’m growing stuff, so that seems like I’m doing something right.  The one thing that has definitely been an ongoing battle would be growing strawberries.  After planting them, I soon discovered I had a yard full of gangsta squirrels.  I tried a plastic owl, Cayenne pepper, pepper spray stuff from Home Depot, lights, rubber snakes, the coon dogs from Where the Red Fern Grows, Vatican guards, fireworks and a Nicaraguan death squad.  Nothing worked.  I finally just dug up the strawberries and put them in pots.  I moved the pots by the windows in the garage.  All this work and Tiffany and I have eaten one strawberry.  We cut it in four pieces.  It was a really good, but a very brief strawberry eating experience.   I replaced the strawberries with squash and zucchini.  I grew them from seeds.  At this point, I feel like they are about to graduate from middle school…actual grown up zucchini and squash will not be far behind.  I also planted a pumpkin plant.  I gift from a friend (thanks Colt!).  We are hoping we’ll have pumpkins to carve for Halloween.  I also grew potatoes and broccoli! Sure they may be the smallest potatoes and broccoli florets in the world…but still, I grew them. Hands down, however, the thing I am most excited about are my tomato plants.  Jodie Foster is the cherry tomato plant and Mariska Hargitay and Marg Helgenberger are my big boy tomato plants.  I put my hands on their tomatoes as much as possible.  Jodie Foster has been giving us lots of cherry tomatoes and Mariska and Marg are growing tomatoes now, too. 




Click here for how to building garden boxes, click here for a past update and check out new update pictures below.

A salad made from romaine lettuce grown in my garden.

I open the garage door to let the strawberries sun themselves.  I suspect moments after this picture was taken a squirrel stole any berries growing on the plants.


squash and zucchini



small, but tasty


Jodie Foster


Touching one of Markisa's tomatoes.

Mariska and Marg

No comments:

Post a Comment