Monday, March 14, 2011

Crackers in the Bed and Lobster Mac and Cheese

Being unencumbered with the responsibility of a job has its good and bad points.  Bad points; not having any money and missing some of the amazing people you used to work with everyday.  Good points; not having to deal with the annoying, overly dramatic and constantly bitching people you used to work with everyday and staying up late and finding good shows on television.  One such show we found the other night was something about extreme restaurants.  This was on late and it made me hungry.  So while eating cheese and crackers in the bed, (Tiffany is like Barbara Mandrell and allows me to eat crackers in the bed anytime) I took note of some of the food served at these extreme restaurants. 


One of the restaurants was The Fat Cat in Quincy, Maine.  This restaurant is known for their super hot wings and mac and cheese.  This really got my attention.  So much so that I sat up, brushed away the mountain of cracker crumbs and Googled The Fat Cat on my phone.  Various pictures of super obese felines popped up as well as some videos of enormous cats trying to clean themselves…of course I watched them while I crunched down on more crackers.  Once I finished that, I found an article about the The Fat Cat restaurant AND it had a recipe for their signature Lobster Mac and Cheese.  SCORE! I actually yelled score, which unfortunately caused a flurry of cracker crumbs to fly out of my mouth on to Tiffany.  This naturally caused the dogs to leap on her and go after the crumbs. It was about this time that she announced she was reconsidering the crackers in the bed anytime rule.  Anyway, it was this recipe that sent me to the seafood counter with a hangover yesterday.  It was just that important to me. I pulled myself together enough to make this last night and it was so worth it.  I even venture to say it was straight up cracker spittin good.


The Fat Cat’s Lobster Mac and Cheese

Ingredients
1 T. garlic, minced
1 oz olive oil
1 c. heavy cream
1 oz manchego cheese, shredded
1 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 T. blue cheese, crumbled
5 oz fresh lobster meat (I used lobster tail and broiled it one minute for every oz)
8 oz cooked corkscrew pasta
4 slices Roma tomato
Salt and pepper to taste
2 T. panko bread crumbs
1T. parmesan cheese, shredded

Preparation
Preheat broiler.  Saute garlic and oil in medium pot over medium heat, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Add cream, manchego, cheddar and blue cheese.  Continue simmering, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until cheese is fully melted.  Add lobster meat and pasta.  Let simmer and stir until everything incorporates, about 2 minutes.  Pour mixture into an oven-safe baking dish.  Top with tomato slices, salt and pepper, then with bread crumbs and parmesan.  Broil until cheese and bread crumbs brown, about 2 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment